Rib Recipe Experiment

The other day, while surfing the web for new BBQ sauce ideas, I stumbled across a recipe for home made ribs (and sauce) from Tyler Florence. Now, I usually look to food network recipes for inspiration, only occasionally trying to recreate their work. But his time, I had to experiment. I wanted to know, what people who make ribs at home, without a proper smoking process were experiencing. I havent had non smoked ribs pretty much since I ventured into my Queens, New York Barbeque establishment, 3BROS. So I took the recipe home, whipped up the bbq sauce to specs, and placed my ribs in the oven.

Issue #1 The sauce was way too sweet. But definitely passable. It made me appreciate our stock sauce at the shop.

Issue #2 The ribs took waaaay longer to cook than the prescribed time. It suggested cooking "low and slow" for 2 hours...I had them in for three, and they were still not "fall off the bone"

All in all, I ate the ribs, and they werent that bad. Just not smoked, and a bit bland. I wont tell you they were a McRib or anything, but if given the choice, I sure would rather put the time and effort into learning how to smoke, or find a local shop to buy some real smoked ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment